Monday, September 17, 2007

A Story - How NOT to Settle for Less Than What You Really Want!

The Peal Stones state it best, "you can't always acquire what you want, But if you seek sometimes you might find, you acquire what you need". And I would add: and then some.

Last Friday my girl experienced this lesson firsthand.

She had been economy for calendar months for an iPod video. Mowing lawns, doing jobs and saving, saving, saving. At the last minute she decided an iPod picture was more than than she needed so she very wisely decided to travel a less expensive path and purchase the iPod nano in HOT PINK.

We went to our local Best Buy...

There it was, on display...

We asked the cat to acquire us one...

He was so sorry, they didn't have got anymore.

My daughter's human face fell. Even when she heard they still had the iPod nano in Ag it did small to hearten her.

BUT, the cat started to explain, Apple had JUST announced the release of the newest iPod nano and they would be getting them in a few days. He explained they were a small shorter, wider, had a larger silver screen AND they also included video AND more than GB's for the SAME price.

WOW we thought! But not Kasie. She had her bosom set on what she had her bosom set on. iPod nano, hot pink, old version. Period.

As we left the shop her dada and I were thrilled for this bend of events. The timing was perfect! How lucky for her! Not only would she acquire what she wanted, she would acquire MORE than what she wanted and expected.

We tried to explain. It didn't matter. To Kasie more GB's didn't substance and picture didn't matter.

She wanted to travel back and acquire the Ag one.

But - but - but...We tried to explicate this unexpected bend of events was definitely in her favor. We tried AGAIN to explicate she would acquire MORE, NEWER and better for the SAME price.

She wouldn't hear of it.

NOW she wanted silver.

Deep breath time.

I cognize every parent out there acquires this: It's your kid's money, right? And they worked really difficult for it, right? So they should acquire to make what they desire to make with it, right?

Ah, no.

Not this time.

I couldn't halt myself.

I asked her if she had seen the new iPod's online.

No, she hadn't.

I asked her if she could wait a few years and believe about it.

No, she couldn't.

Hmmm...what to make now. She was getting defeated and the crying were coming. I was getting defeated because my girl was being stubborn and NOT acquiring IT! Her dada was getting defeated with both of us.

Sitting in our auto in the Best Buy parking batch I had a brainstorm. The cat had said they weren't getting any new versions for a few years BUT the Apple shop already had some in stock.

I dared to do a suggestion

"Hey", I cheerfully offered, "it's Friday night, how about if we drive to the Apple shop and take a expression right now?"

Kasie's ears perked up, but her tone of voice didn't uncover her curiosity. "Whatever." That's all she had to say. (Reminder: she's in center school.)

To the Apple shop we headed.

It was packed.

It took us a minute to happen them.

And then we did...blue, pink, silver, green, black...the NEW iPod nano.

WOW! (That's what I thought!)

Wow! (That's what Pete thought!)

Big, BIG smiling (not certain what was behind that smile but that's what Kasie thought!)

They didn't have got got the hot pink desired, but they did have the most amazing superb icy blue. Kasie's eyes sparkled. We couldn't assist but notice - it matched her eyes! We all cheered. We all loved it!

It WAS BETTER, MORE and even PRETTIER than her original desire.

OMG! They even had one in stock!

Finally she spoke. "This 1 is manner COOLER!"

Yes, it was. WAY.

As we walked out of the shop with the newest iPod member of our household I couldn't assist but inquire THE question:

"So, what did you larn tonight?" (I know, I know! I'm a mom...and a coach...give me a break.)

Kasie shot me "the look" and then very thoughtfully offered the following:

"Whatevvvver." But it didn't substance because I could state by the manner she SKIPPED out of the shop she was thrilled and that's all she really needed to be. Behind the attitude, she was happy.

I trust someday she'll retrieve the lesson the iPod experience had to teach:

1. Be willing to see an alternative. 2. Bash a small research. 3. Go the other mile. 4. Never be too speedy to settle down for less.

You never know, you might acquire more than than you ever imagined, and then some.

No comments: